Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

A couple of weeks ago, I came to the realization that we do not make enough cookies around here. I don’t know why, but we just don’t seem to make them very often. And I’m not ok with that. My mom always had a fail-safe chocolate chip cookie recipe that she could throw together in 30 minutes without looking at the instructions. Naturally, I asked for her recipe. 8 ingredients and done in under 20 minutes. Now, that’s my kind of cookie.

Being that it is December and all, I’m sure I could have gone with the more obvious cookie options. Like sugar or gingerbread ones. But I decided on chocolate chip instead. There are three reasons that I love these cookies…

1: They’re easy.
2: They’re healthy.
3. They’re freakin’ melt-in-your-mouth delicious.

Those are three things that I think everyone can appreciate around the holidays.

Chocolate chip cookies aren’t exactly the first thing that comes to mind when I think of holiday treats, but we’ve already churned out one Christmas-y recipe and we’ve got a few more coming up.

Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip CookiesGluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

Gooey and melty, with just the right amount of crispy – Yup, these meet all of my chocolate chip cookie requirements. Almond meal is the perfect substitute for flour in this recipe because it adds some kind of buttery deliciousness. There’s also a hint of coconut flavor from the oil.

Just in case you don’t feel like spending your day covered in flour, these cookies are a no-fuss, no-rolling-pin-needed treat.

This is a secret cookie weapon, ready to be whipped out when there isn’t enough time in the day and you or someone you know could really use a cookie. PS – The dough itself is pretty good before you ever cook it, if you’re into that sort of thing. I know I am.

Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

• Fiber: 2g
  • Protein: 14g
  • Cholesterol: 13mg
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Gluten-free almond meal chocolate chip cookies.
  • 1 cup almond meal
  • 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon almond milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
  • ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
  • ⅓ cup chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 335º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
  3. Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl and add in dry mixture.
  4. Use a spoon to scoop the dough into 10-12 cookies. No need to flatten, roll, or smoosh – just leave them rough.
  5. Bake for 11-14 minutes. When they start to brown, bake them for about 2 more minutes.

• Jennifer L. 5 January, 2014 at 12:41 Reply

I made these on Christmas Eve, and used chocolate mint chips which was yummy. But I subbed GF flour because I was out of almond meal and was too tired to make my own :) they seemed a little like rubber, was that the flour or did i bake them too long? I will definitely be using this recipe again! Thank you.

• thefitchen 5 January, 2014 at 13:13 Reply

Chocolate mint chips – what a brilliant idea! I’m a mint-aholic. :) It was definitely the flour. GF baking is such a tricky process, but these definitely require almond meal to work right. Sorry they were a flop!

• Jennifer L. 5 January, 2014 at 13:58

Thanks for the input……Oh no they weren’t a flop I still ate them!!! Matter of fact i put some aside in the freezer and warmed a couple of them up yesterday, mmmmm! :) Thanks again.

1. Ani 8 December, 2013 at 20:26 Reply

Have you tried them with agave nectar instead of maple syrup? I know sometimes it works really well as a substitute, but sometimes not. I’m curious just because agave is really cheap where I live but maple syrup is very expensive.

• thefitchen 8 December, 2013 at 22:59 Reply

We’ve never tried that, but it most likely would work. The flavor might turn out just a bit different. Let us know how it works!

• thefitchen 5 January, 2014 at 14:06 Reply

Another commenter tried GF flour and said it didn’t turn out so well. I would stick with almond meal for this recipe – it definitely makes the cookies!

2. Barbara Petrini 30 March, 2015 at 15:29 Reply

I’m baking these now but since I’m prediabetic and don’t want to eat too much sugar, I did the nutrion info. Thought I’d share:

Per cookie:
    Cals: 114.5 Carbs: 4.9 Sugars: 2.5

They look awesome! Can’t wait to try! :)

• Barbara Petrini 30 March, 2015 at 15:55 Reply

Oops my bad! the sugar is actually 5 for the recipe as is. I halved the maple for myself. :) Sowwy!

• thefitchen 31 March, 2015 at 00:08 Reply

Hi Barbara –

So glad you loved these cookies! I think they are so, so tasty and I always love hearing what others think of them. Thanks for the nutritional info, too! :)

• Barbara Petrini 3 April, 2015 at 17:28 Reply

I’ve never written so much on a blag, but I had to add one more thing. I just made them with sugar free maple and sugar free chocolate chips. HOLY FRIJOLES BATMAN! Awesome! Now I can eat a bunch of them and not worry! WOO HOO!

• thefitchen 6 April, 2015 at 18:28 Reply

Well, comment all you want, I don’t mind! I’m so thrilled that you like these cookies. :) Thanks for sharing your modifications, too!