I’ve mentioned before that our weekend usually falls on Monday and Tuesday. When you work a… let’s call it non-traditional… job, weekends rarely look “normal.”
Take this past weekend for example, Valentine’s Day. We spent the day transferring seedlings to bigger pots and grocery shopping and spent the night working our tails off at the bowling center on what was our busiest night of the year thus far. We also found a stray cat that we brought home to keep out of the cold. Nope, nothing normal around here.
Often, our “weekend” days are spent making recipes for the blog and sometimes that means we don’t feel like cooking dinner when that time rolls around. That leaves us with 3 options: go out to dinner, snack on hummus and popcorn for the rest of the night, or whip up something easy out of whatever is left in the fridge.
Wait for it…
…it turns out to be yet another recipe for the blog. I can’t resist sharing amazing recipes with you guys! Exhibit A – this killer stir fry.
Tender and flavorful bok choy and savory mushrooms pair perfectly with the spicy-sweet sauce. It holds up as a dinner all by itself and it’s also ideal for serving over rice, maybe even with an over-easy egg on top. Am I taking this too far?
All I know is when a recipe requires a handful of ingredients, minimal prep, and is on my plate in under 20 minutes, it’s a home run in my book. Date night doesn’t have to be complicated or fancy to be delicious.Print
Easy Bok Choy and Mushroom Stir Fry
An easy, healthy stir fry made with just a few ingredients done in under 20 minutes.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Main
- 5-6 heads of baby bok choy
- 6-8 ounces baby bella mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup, agave, or honey
- 2 Tablespoons sriracha
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Wash bok choy and mushrooms thoroughly. Chop about 1/2″ off the base of the bok choys and then slice in half vertically. Chop mushrooms into 1/2″ slices.
- In a large skillet, toast sesame seeds on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Mix maple syrup, sriracha, tamari, and white pepper together in a small bowl.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of oil to the pan and heat to medium.
- Add green onions and sauté 4-5 minutes.
- Add bok choy, chopped side down directly on the pan and sauté for 4-5 more minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cover for 3 minutes.
- Turn heat to high and add sauce and vegetable broth.
- Cook on high, stirring frequently until the sauce thickens and bok choy is tender.
- Calories: 60
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 308 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g