I have been dying to share this recipe with you guys. Ever since we made these, waaaayyyyy back in September, I’ve been chomping at the bit. Fidgeting in my seat. Tapping my toes. Because I knew you were gonna LOVE these.
Why did I hold out on you for so long? Why the torture, you ask? Well, it was worth it because these peppers got published in Edible Indy’s most recent issue. And we allow them a few months to exclusively keep the recipe before publishing it online. It’s a great partnership, but I’m not exactly a shining example of patience. 😁
I think my anticipation is fully acceptable when you consider what I’ve been hiding up my sleeve. Big, smoky poblanos that are stuffed with a hefty portion of seasoned Mexican-style rice and lastly, topped with hunks of goat cheese before going into the oven. When you bake goat cheese, it turns out creamy (as always), but also golden brown with a hint of crunch. Yeah – crispy and creamy and tangy cheese.
These peppers are not terribly spicy. But – if you aren’t a fan of spice at all and the poblanos spook you for that reason, there are a couple of options.
A) You can just eat the rice and goat cheese straight out of the poblano and give your pepper to a friend. That method ensures that you still get the smoky poblano taste without the spicy factor.
B) You can swap out poblanos entirely and use your favorite kind of bell pepper.
And if a little spice doesn’t scare you, press on, brave one! I promise these festive peppers will rock your cold and dreary winter world.Print
Goat Cheese-Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Mexican Rice
Smoky poblanos are best when filled with seasoned rice and topped with hunks of creamy goat cheese.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 10
- Category: Main
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 5 to 6 poblanos
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- ½ cup sweet corn, frozen & thawed
- ½ tablespoon red chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- Cook rice. In a medium pot, bring water and rice to a boil. Add ½ teaspoon of salt (optional). Reduce to a simmer and cover, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Cook 15 to 20 minutes. Allow to cool, then stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Cut poblanos in half lengthwise and remove seeds and ribs. Be sure to wash your hands after handling the peppers!
- Preheat oven to 425º. Lightly coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange the peppers on the sheet.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high and add onion. Saute for 5 minutes, then add red pepper and continue cooking until onion and pepper soften. Stir in the cooked rice, add seasonings, and mix well to combine.
- Use a spoon to fill the peppers with the rice mixture, then crumble chunks of goat cheese over top.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Calories: 131
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 498.7 mg
- Fat: 4.34 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.3 g
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Cholesterol: 2.6 mg