If I had a nickel for every time I burnt my mouth on hot food, I’d be well on my way to an extended Caribbean vacation by now. It’s not something I’m proud of. In fact, it’s kind of embarrassing. You would think that I would eventually learn to just freakin’ wait. But see, that would require patience, which is something I don’t have. That’s another topic for another day.
I’ve burnt my mouth on coffee, pizza, pie, lasagna, cookies, and soup. And now, I can say that I’ve burnt my mouth on crockpot oatmeal. The stuff was in the slow cooker for upwards of 6 hours: that’s a pretty good indicator that it’s going to be hotter than hellfire. Did that stop me? Nope. The excitement was just too much. Food blogging is dangerous business, I tell ya.
Now that we’ve gotten that out into the open, I feel I should also confess that this is the first time I’ve ever used a crock pot. We got it for our wedding [August 2012] and it took us this long to test drive it. It’s going to be seeing a lot of use around here from now on. It’s sheer brilliance. You throw everything in, turn it on, and leave it to do all the work. I know this isn’t news to like, anyone else on the planet, but I’m still pretty amazed.
This oatmeal is a delicious way to warm yourself and fuel up before starting the day. It will keep you feeling full until at least lunchtime. And another bonus? One batch will last at least about a week. You combine everything in a pot, walk away, and return to find a week’s worth of awesome. What’s not to love?
I leave you with these parting words. Learn from my mistakes – let this stuff cool for a good long while before digging in. Scoop yourself a bowl, do your makeup and hair, get dressed, and then come back for breakfast. Tongue blisters ain’t cute, y’all.
Overnight Oatmeal – Cinnamon Apple
Easy slow cooker oatmeal with healthy apples and cinnamon. Prepare at night and enjoy in the morning.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (I used SoDelicious vanilla, from carton)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 apples (cored, peeled, diced)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Optional for Topping
- Additional cinnamon or brown sugar
- Chopped nuts such as almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc.
- Fruit such as banana slices, fresh apple, or berries
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker with oil thoroughly. This step is very important!
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker – oats, coconut milk, water, apples, brown sugar, coconut oil, cinnamon, and sea salt. Stir to combine well.
- Cook on low for 5-7 hours depending on your cooker. Some take longer and some are faster. We recommend trying a test run during the day to see how long your slow cooker takes before trying overnight.
- Serve and allow to cool. If desired, add toppings of your choice.
Be sure to use STEEL CUT OATS. These are heartier and take longer to cook so they are better for slow cooking.
Experiment with different flavors and fruits.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 241
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 83mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg