Helloooooo grill marks! Helloooooo tender-on-the-inside and crunchy-on-the-outside tofu! Hellooooo sweet-and-spicy-marinade lovin’. Oh, how I love grilling season. 😎
Speaking of grilling, I have a funny grill story for you. When we moved from our apartment in Colorado to our house in Colorado last year, we decided to finally buy a grill. So we did. We found a used propane grill on Craigslist and went to go pick her up.
Picture this: we roll up in our good ol’ Subaru Forester (Donna). The grill was juuuuuust a little bigger than we expected (ok. a lot bigger). When the kind man who was selling it – who also happened to be an engineer – realized we didn’t have a truck to haul it off with, he scoffed: “there’s no way this grill is fitting in that car.” Challenge accepted, sir. We unscrewed the grill top and the side pieces and guess what? Long story short, we made that beaut fit in Donna’s hatch. 🙌
Then we got it home and cleaned it up, and Clark gave it a fresh coat of paint. It was basically a brand new grill – complete with a full propane tank – for $25. SCORE. We grilled corn and zucchini and sweet potatoes and burgers and cabbage and tofu. Oh, and then we sold it right before we moved to Indiana for $50. Double score.
This particular sweet and spicy grilled tofu is brought to you in part by Clark’s dad – who so generously let us borrow his beast of a grill once we arrived in Indiana. Summer just isn’t summer unless you grill out 5 nights a week. 💁♀️💁♀️💁♀️
After we perfected these grilled tofu burgers last summer, we realized tofu on the grill was going to be happening a lot more often. It’s less expensive than meat, it can be seasoned any which way, it’s quick to grill, AND it pairs with veggies, salads, mac & cheese, and everything in between.
This sweet and spicy grilled tofu couldn’t be easier to make. It’s coated in a quick mason jar concoction of sriracha, soy sauce, and maple syrup, then it marinates for 30 minutes (or longer if desired.) Skewer it up and toss it on the grill for 15-20 minutes and you’re done! Speaking of skewers, we usually use our favorite metal ones but those have yet to be uncovered after moving. We prefer those because the handles stay cool (meaning you can eat sooner), they’re sturdier than bamboo, and they’re reusable!
You’re gonna make this ASAP, right? I thought so. Tell me all about it – I love sharing your creations on Instagram!Print
Sweet and Spicy Grilled Tofu
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2 as a main
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grilled
- 14 oz. extra firm tofu, cubed
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon sriracha (use less if you’re not a spice-lover)
- Drain liquid from the tofu and press to remove all excess water. Wrap with a clean towel or paper towels and place a skillet or heavy plate on top. Cut tofu into large cubes** and place into a gallon ziplock bag or large bowl to marinate.
- In a mason jar or small bowl, mix together maple syrup, tamari, olive oil, and sriracha until well-combined.
- Save 2 Tablespoons of the marinade for later, then pour the rest over the tofu. Toss to coat. Seal the bag or bowl up tightly and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Add tofu cubes to skewers and set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium high, spritz the grate with oil, and place tofu skewers on the heat. Grill 15-20 minutes, rotating every 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and drizzle remaining marinade over the tofu. Serve and enjoy!
** We sliced our cubes quite big, but you could go slightly smaller for quicker cooking time. You’ll just have to be more gentle when tossing in the marinade and grilling.
Keywords: tofu, grilled, vegan, vegetarian, spicy, sriracha