Vegan Berry Galette
This berry galette is a fuss-free, summer dessert that uses wholesome, fresh ingredients.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Dessert
- 1 1/4 cups gluten free all purpose flour*
- 1 Tablespoon cane sugar**
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 8 Tablespoons of ice water
- Coconut milk for brushing the crust
- Sugar for topping the crust before baking
- 2 cups strawberries, halved
- 1 cup blackberries
- 3 Tablespoons cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon flour or cornstarch
- In a medium bowl, combine berries, sugar, and lemon zest. Stir to combine. Set aside for later.
- Melt coconut oil and allow it to return to room temperature. It should still be liquid, but not warm.
- Prepare your water in a bowl with ice cubes. It needs to be ICE COLD.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt and stir. Place the bowl of dry ingredients into the freezer to chill for 15 minutes.
- Slowly add the coconut oil to the dry ingredients while mixing with your hands. Do your best to combine it evenly – it will not feel like dough yet.
- Return the bowl to the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bowl and use your fingers to break up any larger chunks that remain. Don’t spend too long doing this – the coconut oil will melt and need to be chilled again.
- Start pouring in the ice water while mixing with your hands. Add it 2 tablespoons at a time until the dough is workable. Mold it into a large disc, about 1 inch thick. Wrap it tightly in plastic and set aside to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment and place the dough disc in the center. Use your hands to work the dough into a larger circle. You may need to flour your hands to prevent sticking.
- Scoop the berries into the middle of the dough. Then carefully fold the dough around the berries. If the dough begins to stick, use a floured spatula to lift it. Some tearing may occur, but that’s ok! Galettes don’t need to be perfect.
- After the edges are folded up, transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
- Allow it to cool and then serve. I think a scoop of vanilla ice cream would be a welcome addition!
*I highly recommend using Wholesome Chow’s GF all purpose flour blend. I find that their mixture works better than most for baked goods.
**This crust is barely sweet – more like shortbread. If you prefer a sweeter crust, add another tablespoon of sugar.
- Calories: 172
- Sugar: 9.6 g
- Sodium: 73.3 mg
- Fat: 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.9 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.1 g
- Fiber: 3.7 g
- Protein: 2.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g