This gluten free and vegan waffle recipe is ready in under 25 minutes. The result is a waffle that is crispy on the outside and moist on the inside! The raspberry lemon syrup is just the “cherry” on top.
Do you ever feel like everything is happening and nothing is happening, all at once? I wonder if it’s just me. There is so much happening right now or about to happen soon that it makes my head spin. As cliché as it is to say, life is just too busy.
We’re still settling into a new pace in a new place. We’re both working crazy hours and juggling several gigs at once. Our baby, aka The Burger Book is days away from launching and I think we can both agree – there will be champagne involved when the thing goes on sale.
Clark is about to set up his own online store for cutting boards [one is pictured below] and other beautiful, Clark-made things. I’m doing some consulting and social media. We’re both doing graphic design. And of course, we’re staying on top of the blog. The list goes on.
Our new routine allows us to be together a lot more, which was one of our main goals when we made the move. But the together time isn’t always “us” time. We’re usually working or planning or driving or shopping or writing or shooting or cooking. About 2 weeks after moving, we realized we were going to have to make “us” more of a priority.
It’s always been like that for us. Like there is this magic amount of time that we need to spend together, and if we don’t hit that amount, things start to feel “off.” Clark is always reading my mind, and I think I do a good job of reading his. He’ll hand me a rubber spatula before I’m ready to scrape the bowl, I’ll order his favorite kind of deodorant before he runs out – little things like that. But if we fall short of the magic amount, we misunderstand each other, we bump into each other, we get snippy with each other. No me gusta.
The magic amount of time must be met. So we take drives that go nowhere and we lay in bed talking before going to sleep or after waking up and we make inexpensive, lazy dinners together.
These waffles are the result of a “date” of sorts. We went to bed late one night after a long night of work and we talked about needing to get up earlier. We keep going to bed late and naturally, sleeping late. That eats into potential us time.
Our solution? Force ourselves, with the use of two alarms, mutual shoving and groaning, and lots of determination, to get up early and go to the store for the ingredients to make chocolate chip waffles.
After 4 hours of sleep and a groggy drive, we drug ourselves around Kroger. I’m quite sure we were still halfway asleep. Between the delirious laughter, grabbing 4 bars of chocolate that weren’t on the list, and avoiding eye contact with all other shoppers, we somehow got everything we needed.
We made it home and got to work. Wet ingredients in one bowl, dry in the other. Combine. Mix. Heat the waffle iron and start cooking. One by one, the most perfect waffles came off the iron and formed a steaming stack on the serving plate.
The only thing we forgot? The chocolate chips. This oversight didn’t seem to matter though – because as quickly as they came off the iron, they were eaten.
I’m 100% positive that this is the best gluten-free waffle recipe ever. We have tried a lot of recipes and this one is the end-all-be-all. Just crispy enough, not too heavy, and delightfully sweet. The raspberry lemon syrup was a last-minute idea and I highly recommend it. It’s tart and sweet and, not to mention super pretty. No brainer!
Vegan Gluten Free Waffles with Raspberry Lemon Syrup
Crispy gluten-free waffles that are ready in under 25 minutes. A sweet-tart raspberry lemon syrup is the perfect topping.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Breakfast
- 1 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 c. white rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon [optional]
- olive oil spray
- Raspberry Lemon Syrup:
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/3 cups raspberries [frozen or fresh]
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and use a fork to mix.
- In the coconut milk/vinegar bowl, add vanilla, maple syrup, and melted coconut oil and mix well.
- Add wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. Use a spoon to mix until mostly smooth.
- To make the raspberry syrup, combine ingredients in a medium saucepan and heat on low. Use a fork to smash the berries and stir until the mixture is very liquid. Set aside for later, when you smother your waffles in it.
- Preheat a waffle iron on medium. Spray lightly with olive oil.
- Scoop about 1/3 c. of batter into the iron and cook for 2-3 minutes. Time will vary depending on your waffle iron.
- Drizzle raspberry syrup all over your stack of waffles and enjoy!
This waffle batter is thick! Don’t let the texture fool you, that is what gives the waffles their perfect crispy outside and dense inside.