This sweet and spicy brussels sprouts recipe is good enough to convert any brussels sprout hater. Whisk together a simple sauce and cook on the stovetop. It’s done in about 20 minutes! Perfect balance of spicy and sweet!
As a self-proclaimed sriracha addict, I’m ashamed of the fact that I’ve never included it in a single recipe here. I don’t know about you, but for me, it’s always been more of a condiment than an ingredient. Generous zig-zags across a pile of scrambled eggs, a bold dipping choice for potstickers, and sometimes a shameful dousing on broccoli florets. Sriracha undeniably works as a condiment. But what about as an ingredient? Or as a flavoring?
This brussels sprouts recipe right here? It answers the question. Mixed with high quality maple syrup and pan-seared to a caramelized crisp, these tender sprouts are layered with deep sweet and spicy flavor. Bite after bite, these will keep you coming back for more.
I’m a sucker for brussels sprouts in all of their many forms – salad-ified, smothered in balsamic, or straight up oven-roasted. Little did I know that stovetop was perhaps the quickest option for cooking brussels sprouts, getting them done in half the time that the oven requires. Take heed – this is valuable brussels sprouts information, people!
Achieving these caramelized, crisp, and sticky-sweet sprouts is as simple as chop, mix, and stir. In less than 20 minutes, you can be enjoying and *maybe* sharing this delicious and unexpected side dish.
Try this recipe on anyone who claims to hate brussels sprouts and I guarantee that you will change their mind and more importantly, their life for the better.
SO! Make this brussels sprouts recipe ASAP and tag me in a picture over on Instagram. I wanna share your creation with the world!Print
Sweet and Spicy Sriracha Brussels Sprouts
Achieving these caramelized, crisp, and sticky-sweet sprouts is as simple as chop, mix, and stir. They’ll make anyone into a fan of brussels sprouts!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Side
- 1 pound of brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons sriracha
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- Wash brussels sprouts thoroughly and chop off the stems. Just remove the tough part without cutting into the sprout, this will keep the leaves in tact. Chop sprouts in half.
- In a small bowl, whisk together maple syrup, sriracha, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and ginger powder until well-combined.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet [I recommend using a cast-iron if you have one!] on medium-high heat.
- Place brussels sprouts into the pan, cut side down. This step is important – it steams the sprouts faster and gives them a crispy texture all at the same time.
- For the next 5 minutes, gently stir the sprouts to keep them from sticking to the pan. If you notice the oil drying up, add 1 to 2 more tablespoons to the pan.
- After 5-8 minutes, check for browned edges – it’s time to add the sauce.
- Pour in the sauce mixture and listen to it sizzle. Oh, how it sizzles. As soon as it hits the pan, it reacts with the heat and starts to transform. Stir the sprouts, coating them in the mixture until it thickens and starts to get sticky.
- Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes. Remove a sprout to test for tenderness – when they’re cooked to your liking, remove from the heat and serve!
- Calories: 225
- Sugar: 19g
- Sodium: 342mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 5g