This bright, crunchy rice salad combines sweet chunks of mango, black rice, salty sunflower seeds, and red onion, all wrapped up in a zesty lemon dressing.
- 2 cups black forbidden rice
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 3/4 teaspoon cane sugar
- Sea salt to taste
- In a large pot, bring rice and 2-3/4 cups of water. Add a pinch of salt then cover and reduce heat to low. Stirring occasionally, simmer until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender – approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the mangoes, red onion, cilantro, scallions, and lemon juice.
- Juice the lemon into a medium sized bowl over a sieve to collect the seeds. Add the soy sauce, olive oil, grapefruit juice, sugar, and whisk together.
- In a large bowl, toss the rice, mango, onion, scallions, cilantro, sunflower seeds, and dressing until well combined.
- Serve cool or at room temperature.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, lemon juice, and salt if desired.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Calories: 310
- Sugar: 11.2g
- Sodium: 115.1mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 43.2g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Protein: 6.2g
- Cholesterol: 0g