Gluten-Free, Vegan, Dairy-Free
INGREDIENTS FOR CRUST
- 1 1/2 c. almond meal
- 3/4 c. brown rice flour
- 1/2 c. tapioca flour
- 1/4 c. arrowroot flour
- 1/4 c. coconut palm sugar
- 2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 3/4 c. & 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 7 1/2 to 8 Tbsp. ice cold coconut milk
INGREDIENTS FOR FILLING
- 6 medium apples [mixture of Fuji and Golden Delicious for sweet/tart combo]
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp. tapioca flour
- 1/4 c. coconut palm sugar/sucanat mix [can use all coconut palm sugar if desired]
- 1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 1. Food process almond meal, rice flour, tapioca flour, arrowroot flour, sugar, salt, and xanthan gum together. Add coconut oil and pulse to combine. Then add milk one tablespoon at a time until a dough forms.
- 2. Line two baking sheets or two flat surfaces with parchment [a cutting board or pizza stone will work]. Lightly oil your pie pan with coconut oil or olive oil.
- 3. Divide the dough mixture in half to make two dough balls. Place one ball on each of the parchment-covered baking sheets and flatten them into disc shapes. Allow them to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- 4. Wash and peel 6 apples – we used 3 Fujis and 3 Golden Delicious and it turned out to be a delicious combination of tart and sweet. Core the apples and cut them into thin slices.
- 5. Preheat the oven to 400º. In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice and maple syrup. Add tapioca flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and salt and mix together. Once combined, dump the apples into the bowl and toss to coat every last slice. The mixture might look a bit dry at first, but just set it aside for a few minutes. The sugar will cause the apples to get juicier. Stir occasionally until adding to the pie.
- 6. Remove the first dough ball and place another piece of parchment over top of it. Use a rolling pin to evenly roll the dough into a large circle, about 2 ½” larger than the pie pan.
- 7. Once you’ve formed a circle-ish shape, carefully transfer the dough into the pie pan. Allow it to sink down on its own and then gently use your fingers to push it into the edges and clean up around the top. Place the crust into the freezer for 30 minutes.
- 8. After the crust has been chilled, empty the apples into the crust with slightly more apples near the center and less around the edges.
- 9. Repeat the rolling process with the second dough ball until it is a flat circle. Then use a knife or pizza cutter to create long strips of dough. Gently lay each strip over the pie to create the classic criss-cross pattern.
- 10. As a final touch, lightly brush the crust with coconut milk and sprinkle it with cane sugar.
- 11. Place your beautiful creation on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350 and bake for another 30 minutes.
- 12. Remove and allow it to cool for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 400º F at step 5 then drop to 350º F at step 11.
- Prep Time: 70
- Cook Time: 50
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 586
- Sugar: 30
- Sodium: 190
- Fat: 35
- Saturated Fat: 24
- Unsaturated Fat: 8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 71
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 0