Crispy, seared brussels sprouts and whole wheat pasta are doused in a creamy, herbed sauce for a hearty, all-in-one vegetarian meal.
Ingredients for sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 - 15 oz. can of whole coconut milk [shake well before using]
- ½ cup nutritional yeast (what's nutritional yeast? i'll explain! click here.)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- pinch of cayenne
Ingredients for dish
- 1 ½ pounds brussels sprouts (look for small to medium sprouts if available)
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 cups orecchiette (we used Delallo's whole wheat)
- water & salt for cooking pasta
- You’ll be making the sauce first for this recipe: In a small skillet, heat olive oil to medium and sauté garlic for 3-5 minutes until fragrant and golden brown.
- In a blender, add garlic, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and seasonings. Blend until well combined. The sauce will look runny, but it will thicken once it’s incorporated with the rest of the dish later. Set aside for now.
- Prepare brussels sprouts. Remove the outermost leaves and give the sprouts a good rinse. Chop about ¼” off at the base of each sprout, just enough to remove the tough base, but not too much. You want to keep the sprout in-tact and keep the leaves from falling off. Chop the sprouts in half vertically.
- In a large pot, start boiling water for pasta. Be sure to add salt – I recommend about 1 tablespoon for tasty pasta.
- Heat 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil to medium in a large cast-iron skillet.
- Carefully place brussels sprouts into the pan face-down and cook for 5 minutes. Use a spoon to gently move them around to prevent sticking, while keeping them face down.
- After 5 minutes, add 1 1/2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar and start stirring the brussels. They should be looking browned and crispy. Continue cooking for 10 minutes, stirring often, until brussels sprouts are tender. Leave them in the pan and remove from heat.
- The pasta and brussels sprouts should finish around the same time. Once finished, drain the pasta and set aside.
- Pour the sauce into the pan, then add the pasta and heat to medium-high. Stir until everything is well-coated and hot. The sauce should start to thicken after being combined with the other ingredients.
- Serve immediately, garnished with fresh herbs or a light sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Main