This crockpot poblano corn soup recipe is loaded with smoky, savory flavor and a hint of spice. Add chicken if desired!
- 1/2 cup poblanos, roasted and skins removed
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1 can whole coconut milk (shake well)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 Tablespoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon sea salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Turn your oven on to broil.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Lightly spray poblanos with olive oil and arrange them on the baking sheet.
- Broil for 8-10 minutes, rotating halfway. You're looking for the skins of the poblanos to turn dark and bubbly.
- Remove the peppers and place them into a glass bowl to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- I highly recommend wearing latex gloves for this part of the process! Gently start removing the skins from the pepper – then discard the skins.
- Remove the tops of the peppers and scoop out the seeds. After you're done, chop the peppers.
- Add roasted poblanos, frozen corn potatoes, coconut milk, rice, broth, chipotle powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Stir to combine. Cook on high heat for 4 hours.
*Serves about 6 people.
*If desired, you could add chicken to this as well. I would recommend cooking it separately and adding it towards the end of the crockpot's cook time.
*If you don't want to go to the trouble of roasting the poblanos, this soup would also be delicious with canned green chiles! Use about 1/2 cup.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Main
- Calories: 282
- Sugar: 2.1 g
- Sodium: 394.8 mg
- Fat: 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 10.2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.1 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 5.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g