Hearty and filling with spiced, savory flavors, these sweet potato cakes are an easy-to-make option for breakfast, snacktime, lunch and everything in between.
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes [3-4 sweet potatoes]
- 1 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 - 15 oz. can of black beans
- 2 Tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons brown rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon chili flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- Cook quinoa and boil potatoes at the same time.
- When quinoa is done and potatoes are tender, drain and mash the potatoes until mostly smooth. Some chunks are ok.
- Drain the black beans and empty half of the can into a large bowl. Mash the beans using a fork, then add the remaining whole beans.
- Add in 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes, quinoa, red onion, and seasonings and mix to combine.
- Add eggs, bread crumbs, and brown rice flour and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 400º and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop out the mixture into 1/4 – 1/3 cup amounts and use your hands to shape it into small "disks" about 3/4" thick.
- Repeat the process until your baking sheets are full or you run out of the mixture.
- Bake 25 minutes, flipping the cakes once near the halfway point.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Snack