This savory, slightly spicy version of butternut squash soup requires just 4 ingredients and comes together in your crockpot.
- 8 cups butternut squash [peeled and chopped into 1" cubes]
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Peel and chop butternut squash into cubes about 1" square.
- Chop onion and mince garlic.
- In a large crockpot, add squash, onions, garlic, thyme, and broth.
- Add seasonings and use a spoon to stir them in.
- Set temperature to low and cook for 4-6 hours, stirring occasionally. The soup is done when the squash is very fork tender
- Using an immersion blender, puree the ingredients until smooth and all chunks have disappeared. If you don't have an immersion blender, just pour the mixture into a regular blender [in 2 batches, if necessary] and blend until smooth.
- Serve with fresh black pepper and a crusty baguette.