Hash browns made healthier with sweet potatoes. They're crispy and crunchy and perfect for breakfast & brunch.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes [peeled and shredded]
- 1/4 c. sweet white onion [chopped]
- 4 garlic cloves [minced]
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 c. gluten-free flour (Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 is a good option)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- olive oil for frying
- Wash and peel sweet potatoes, then shred them. Using a colander, rinse the sweet potatoes until the water runs mostly clear. Squeeze the rinsed potatoes to remove excess water and empty them into a medium bowl.
- Add onion, flour, garlic, salt, pepper, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil to the sweet potatoes and mix everything well.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil to a cast iron or regular skillet and heat on medium-high. Test the pan by tossing in a couple of sweet potato shreds — if it crackles, the pan is ready. Use a ¼ cup to measure the sweet potato into the pan and then use a spatula to flatten them out.
- Cook for 3 minutes, then flip and cook for 2 more. You may need to vary the cooking time depending on your skillet and stove. Golden to medium brown and crispy is what you’re going for.
- As you finish the patties, remove them from the skillet and allow them to cool for a few minutes on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Breakfast
Keywords: breakfast, sweet potatoes, vegetarian, healthy, brunch, gluten free