This new take on the traditional Mexican side dish is flavored with authentic spices, mashed to the perfect texture, and has added zing from creamy goat cheese.
- 2 - 15 oz. cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup white onion (minced)
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt (this has been decreased due to reader feedback!)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 oz. chèvre goat cheese
- Prepare garlic and onion as described above.
- In a large skillet, heat oil to medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes.
- Add black beans and seasonings to skillet. Cook for 5-7 minutes until heated throughout.
- Using the back of a spoon, mash black beans to desired consistency. Stir and continue cooking.
- Add vegetable broth. Stir to combine. If the beans are too dry, add more broth to reach your desired consistency.
- Add goat cheese. Stir to combine.
- Serve hot with fresh cilantro and tortillas. Enjoy.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Calories: 117
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 360 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 4 g
Keywords: black beans, refried beans, vegetarian, gluten free, mexican, beans, side dish