This vegan Caesar salad recipe is topped with golden brown herbed tofu "croutons" for crunch and protein. The creamy dressing is completely dairy free, easy to make, and it's loaded with nutritious ingredients!
8 cups romaine, chopped
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked
- ¼ cup coconut milk, canned + whole
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of cayenne, optional
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 block extra firm tofu (ours was 14 oz.)
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Wash and dry romaine, then chop and place into a large bowl. Preferably one with a lid! Refrigerate until later.
- In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients for the Caesar dressing. Pulse until smooth and creamy. If it's too thick for your liking, add a bit more water to thin out. I love the thick consistency! Set aside for later.
- Drain tofu and press to remove as much excess water as possible. Chop the tofu into cubes about 1" square – or whatever size you prefer croutons to be! Place chopped tofu in a ziplock bag (or large bowl) and add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, Italian seasoning, sea salt, and pepper. Toss to combine.
- In a large nonstick or cast iron skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil to medium. Add tofu to the skillet and allow the cubes to get a nice sear. Cook for 15-20 minutes total, flipping the tofu occasionally to brown evenly. Remove from the skillet and allow to cool.
- Once tofu is cool, add tofu to the bowl with romaine, then pour the dressing over top. Mix thoroughly until everything is well coated. Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Serving Size: 1