These pot pies are beyond easy to make! The sauce takes 10 minutes and you can use boxed cornbread to speed things up. They're the perfect savory and hearty fall comfort food.
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 - 15 oz. cans whole coconut milk
- 3 gloves garlic, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast* (what's nutritional yeast? allow me to explain! click here.)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 4 cups mixed vegetables*
- 1 package of cornbread mix
- 1 chia or flax egg*
- olive oil
- In a large pot, heat oil to medium and add minced garlic. Sauté 3-4 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add coconut milk, thyme, rosemary, nutritional yeast, salt pepper, and white wine vinegar. Stir or whisk to combine and continue cooking until the sauce thickens and starts to reduce. About 10-12 minutes.
- Add vegetables and stir again.
- Prepare cornbread and set aside. We used store-bought, but if you're feeling ambitious, homemade will work too!
- Prepare ramekins or baking dish. Spray with olive oil. I also recommend lining a baking sheet with foil to place the pot pies on during baking.
- Portion filling into the ramekins, filling them about 3/4 full.
- Spoon cornbread mix over top. It's ok if they spill over – messy is still tasty!
- Bake 25 minutes or until the crust has risen and is golden brown.
*Nutritional yeast adds a subtle, savory flavor to the sauce while also thickening it. You could swap out for flour if necessary, but I recommend nutritional yeast.
*For the veggies, we used a frozen mixed medley. We thawed and then added the 4 cups to the sauce.
*To make a flax or chia egg, combine 1 tablespoon ground flax or chia and 3 tablespoons of water. Mix and allow to set until gelatinous. (Like an egg!)
*This recipe makes 6 - 9 oz. ramekins or 1 - 9 1/4" x 7" casserole dish.
If desired, you could add cooked, shredded chicken to the filling mixture. Probably a half-pound wound do the trick. I would recommend decreasing the amount of veggies if you add chicken, to keep the consistency saucy!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Main
- Calories: 296
- Sugar: 0.3 g
- Sodium: 779.5 mg
- Fat: 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.4 g
- Fiber: 6.5 g
- Protein: 8.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0.8 g