These crispy fritters are made with shaved brussels sprouts and a few simple ingredients. Perfect for breakfast and brunch, or a savory side dish!
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup gluten free all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 2-4 Tablespoons olive oil
- Remove the hardy stalk near the base of the sprouts and the outermost leaves as needed. Thoroughly wash the sprouts.
- Using a mandolin or a knife, chop the brussels sprouts horizontally as thin as possible.
- Set sprouts aside in a medium bowl. Massage them to separate and fluff after they're chopped. Yes – I just told you to massage brussels sprouts.
- Add green onions and toss to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Add dry ingredients and the egg to the bowl with brussels sprouts mixture. Mix thoroughly. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, add oil and bring to medium-high heat. Start with 2 tablespoons and add more if the skillet begins to dry out. These don't need to be "deep-fried" – they just need enough oil to prevent sticking.
- Measure out the brussels sprouts mixture into 2 tablespoon portions and carefully add them to the skillet. Use a spatula to flatten the fritters. Cook 2-3 minutes per side.
- Set the fritters aside on a plate lined with paper towel. Allow to cool slightly – then enjoy!
- I suggest serving these alongside eggs, avocado toast, and maybe mimosas. ;)
*We used gluten-free, but you could also use regular all purpose flour.
*This recipe has been made with vegan egg substitutes and was successful!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Calories: 50
- Sugar: 1.5g
- Sodium: 402.3mg
- Fat: 0.9g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 8.8g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 23.3mg