Brussels sprouts. And fritters. Fritters of brussels sprouts. Fried morsels made with one of my very favorite veggies on earth. I have come here today to share my idea of heaven.
We made these before we went camping last week and I have been DYING to share the recipe ever since. But you see, I knew they needed a special post to accompany them. Something befitting of their wondrous entrance into this world.
As it turns out, this recipe had a story of its own up its sleeve. Something that was all at once epic and disastrous and a new challenge. When I sat down to sort through and choose pictures for this post, they had magically disappeared from my memory card. 😳😳😳
They were there the day before. And then they weren’t. Poof – gone. Imagine my dismay. I’m staring at my computer screen. Blinking. Confused. Mouth-agape. In denial. They could not be gone. Impossible. The pictures looked too good. I looked everywhere for them. In every folder. In the trash bin. In every nook and cranny on our computer. Gone.
So to the Google machine I went. “how to recover missing files” “where did my pictures go?” “what the hell happened to my pictures?” “why is this happening to me?”
And eventually, (3 hours later) I found a way to recover the photos, even though they somehow erased themselves from my memory card. I don’t know how it happened or why it happened – all I know is that I saved the pictures and I saved the day.
We have brussels sprout fritters and we have the pictures to prove it.
Honestly, I love these straight out of the skillet. And I have zero shame eating them directly out of the fridge. BUT – they are also delicious for more legit breakfast and brunch situations. Perhaps where there is fresh fruit, maybe a tofu scramble or some over-medium eggs, and a side of mimosas.
PS – Just for the photos, I whipped up a quick dipping sauce made from vegannaise, coconut milk, lemon juice, salt, and pepper – not necessary, but actually quite good. If you’re interested, I can re-make and quantify the recipe for you lovely people. Leave me a comment if you want the deets! 😘
Brussels Sprout Fritters
These crispy fritters are made with shaved brussels sprouts and a few simple ingredients. Perfect for breakfast and brunch, or a savory side dish!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup gluten free all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 2–4 Tablespoons olive oil
- Remove the hardy stalk near the base of the sprouts and the outermost leaves as needed. Thoroughly wash the sprouts.
- Using a mandolin or a knife, chop the brussels sprouts horizontally as thin as possible.
- Set sprouts aside in a medium bowl. Massage them to separate and fluff after they’re chopped. Yes – I just told you to massage brussels sprouts.
- Add green onions and toss to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Add dry ingredients and the egg to the bowl with brussels sprouts mixture. Mix thoroughly. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, add oil and bring to medium-high heat. Start with 2 tablespoons and add more if the skillet begins to dry out. These don’t need to be “deep-fried” – they just need enough oil to prevent sticking.
- Measure out the brussels sprouts mixture into 2 tablespoon portions and carefully add them to the skillet. Use a spatula to flatten the fritters. Cook 2-3 minutes per side.
- Set the fritters aside on a plate lined with paper towel. Allow to cool slightly – then enjoy!
- I suggest serving these alongside eggs, avocado toast, and maybe mimosas. ;)
*We used gluten-free, but you could also use regular all purpose flour.
*This recipe has been made with vegan egg substitutes and was successful!
- Calories: 50
- Sugar: 1.5g
- Sodium: 402.3mg
- Fat: 0.9g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 8.8g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 23.3mg