Flavorful and fresh enchiladas, packed with plenty of veggies and spiced chicken. These are a healthy, low-calorie take on a classic Mexican dish.
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 red bell pepper [sliced]
- 1 orange bell pepper [sliced]
- 1 yellow bell pepper [sliced]
- 1 medium onion [chopped]
- 2 cups of kale [chopped]
- 4 ounces mild cheddar cheese
- 6 gluten free tortillas [all we had were Rudi's spelt tortillas on hand]
- Cauliflower Sauce:
- 1/2 head of cauliflower [chopped]
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1tablespoon rosemary
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic [chopped]
- Enchilada sauce:
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoons gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 cup water
- 3 oz tomato paste [about half of the can]
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400º
- Boil and shred chicken. In a large pot, add chicken and fill 2/3 full with water. Boil chicken for 10 minutes then reduce to a simmer for 10 more. Shred on a cutting board using 2 forks and set aside.
- Place sliced peppers and onion on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Set aside.
- While chicken is boiling, make the sauces.
- Boil chopped cauliflower in 2 cups of water for 10-15 minutes. Save the water. Sauté garlic in oil on medium heat. Add all ingredients plus 1/3 cup of the boiled water into the blender and blend until smooth.
- For the enchilada sauce, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350º and combine peppers, onions, chicken, and kale in a large bowl. Add a layer of enchilada sauce to the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Fill each tortilla with the mixture and add a bit of cauliflower sauce. Roll up tightly and place in the pan with the seam-side facing down. Repeat.
- Top the enchiladas with shredded cheese, more enchilada sauce, and more cauliflower sauce. Place in oven for 20 minutes.
- Top with fresh cilantro and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Main