This quinoa stuffed spaghetti squash recipe is loaded up with black beans, salsa, and tons of southwest flavor. It's a healthy weeknight dinner option and it's awesome for meal prep!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water or broth (for cooking quinoa)
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 – 15 oz. can black beans, drained
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup cheese, divided
- olive oil or cooking spray of choice
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- toppings of choice – avocado, cilantro, peppers, tomatoes, sour cream, cheese, more salsa, etc.
- Preheat oven to 400º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Spray with olive oil or cooking spray of choice. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, chili flakes, chipotle, and garlic powder. Place squash onto the baking sheet with cut sides facing down. Place into the oven and roast for 40-50 minutes until the flesh is fork-tender.
- While squash is cooking, make your quinoa! Add quinoa and water or broth to a medium pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, black beans, salsa, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cayenne. Mix well.
- Once the spaghetti squash is done, switch the oven to broil. Stuff each half of the squash with filling. Top with cheese (if using) and place into the oven for 3 minutes. Remove from the oven, add desired toppings, and enjoy!