This Quinoa Stuffed Spaghetti Squash recipe is loaded up with black beans, salsa, and tons of southwest flavor. It’s a healthy weeknight dinner option and it’s awesome for meal prep!
Stuffed spaghetti squash boats! AKA fall comfort food goals, but healthy! Brought to you a few days earlier than I planned thanks to my newly acquired insomnia.
Apparently, in this season of my life, I no longer have the ability to sleep past 8AM. I want to, but I can’t. I wake up and I’m ready to rock and roll – there’s no use trying to fall back asleep. I figure if I’m going to be up this early, I might as well do something productive and get this recipe on the blog ASAP.
Because hello, you NEED this dinner in your life. Perfect spaghetti squash noodles plus steamy quinoa and black beans, all wrapped up in smoky salsa and topped with avocado (plus whatever else you fancy). It’s weeknight dinner heaven, people.
Remember last week when I showed you guys how to make the quickest roasted spaghetti squash ever? I have to admit, this recipe is not like that one. This one takes a little bit longer. But it’s totally worth it and I’ll tell you a couple of ways to make it quicker!
How to Make Quinoa Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Quickly
- Roast squash ahead of time. Then reheat for a few minutes while the quinoa cooks, then fill the squash up and enjoy!
- Cook squash in your Instant Pot! This method cooks the squash in about 20 minutes. Don’t have an Instant Pot? Black Friday is right around the corner!
- Microwave the squash. This method cooks the squash in about 15 minutes. I’ve never tested this method before, but I’ve heard good things.
Do you have any other spaghetti squash hacks? Any favorite recipes? Make this Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Spaghetti Squash recipe ASAP and tell me what you think in the comments below! Also, you should probably share it on the ‘gram so I can show off your creation in my stories. 😘Print
Quinoa Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
This quinoa stuffed spaghetti squash recipe is loaded up with black beans, salsa, and tons of southwest flavor. It’s a healthy weeknight dinner option and it’s awesome for meal prep!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water or broth (for cooking quinoa)
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 – 15 oz. can black beans, drained
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup cheese, divided
- olive oil or cooking spray of choice
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- toppings of choice – avocado, cilantro, peppers, tomatoes, sour cream, cheese, more salsa, etc.
- Preheat oven to 400º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Spray with olive oil or cooking spray of choice. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, chili flakes, chipotle, and garlic powder. Place squash onto the baking sheet with cut sides facing down. Place into the oven and roast for 40-50 minutes until the flesh is fork-tender.
- While squash is cooking, make your quinoa! Add quinoa and water or broth to a medium pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, black beans, salsa, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cayenne. Mix well.
- Once the spaghetti squash is done, switch the oven to broil. Stuff each half of the squash with filling. Top with cheese (if using) and place into the oven for 3 minutes. Remove from the oven, add desired toppings, and enjoy!