Flavored with chai tea, pumpkin, and cinnamon, these scones pair perfectly with morning coffee.
- 1 cup of gluten free flour
- 4 oz. of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 chai tea teabag
- 3 Tbsp. sucanat
- 4 Tbsp. cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1/4 c. boiling water
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring water to a boil and place chai teabag in a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup of boiling water to the bowl and let steep for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, 1 tsp cinnamon, and cloves. Mix together.
- Using an electric mixer, add in 3 Tbsp. cold butter and mix until clumpy. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together pumpkin, chai tea, and egg.
- Add wet ingredients to dry. Mix.
- Place the dough on the baking sheet and press it outward into a circle about 1 inch thick.
- Refrigerate dough for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 425º. Remove dough from refrigerator and cut into 8 equal triangles (first cut a "+" then an "x"). Arrange scones so that they have an inch or two of space to allow for expanding.
- In a small pot heat 1 Tbsp butter, 2 tsp. maple syrup, and 1 tsp. of cinnamon.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter/syrup/cinnamon mixture halfway through baking. Enjoy!
- Category: breakfast
- Calories: 1026
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 686mg
- Fat: 53g
- Saturated Fat: 32g
- Unsaturated Fat: 17g
- Trans Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 119g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 21g
- Cholesterol: 308mg