Sweet Potato Hash Browns – The Fitchen

Sweet Potato Hash Browns – The Fitchen

Any mention of “hash browns” brings to mind a clear image for me: a Waffle House with sticky counters and greasy floors, Garth Brooks playing on the old jukebox, and me reaching for the salt and smacking the sides of a Heinz 57 bottle to drown the saturated, starchy potatoes in some kind of flavor.

But sweet potato hash browns? Throw all preconceived notions out the window. Sweet potatoes are naturally better than their lackluster tuber cousins. Higher in vitamins and minerals and brimming with fiber and flavor, they offer an alternative that can’t be beat.

Sweet Potato Hash Browns – The Fitchen

Waffle House memories offer a glimpse into my early years, shortly after my parents bought a bowling alley. The days were long and the nights were longer. Factory and homemaker leagues filled the mornings and the nights consisted of more full leagues and open bowling on the weekends.

Sometimes my brother and I got to stick around while the grown-ups cleaned and counted down the drawers. On the good nights and on the late nights, I remember a group of special people who stuck around after close. They had bowled, worked, and helped clean so that everyone could leave earlier and get to “breakfast.”

Sweet Potato Hash Browns – The Fitchen

Those days seem so far gone but still so fresh in my memory. The people have changed, the bowling alley has changed, the economy has changed, our bowlers have changed, and our lives have changed.

For me, whether they’re regular or sweet, hash browns will always bring to mind memories of happy, late nights. As young as I was, I knew that other kids were not so lucky. They were fast asleep in their superhero and princess-themed sheets, ready to be well-rested for another day at school. But Jacob and I? We were hearing real-life stories from the day’s events and being exposed to a world unknown to most kids our age. Whether for better or for worse, we got a serving of reality along with our belgian waffles and scrambled eggs.

Clark and I enjoyed these hash browns á la carte before we headed out to explore Cobble Hill in Brooklyn one Saturday afternoon. Each crispy bite reminded me of those late nights at Waffle House. After the recipe was shot and the hash browns were gone, we had plenty of energy to last us the rest of the day.

These would be an ideal side for waffles, eggs over easy, pancakes, an omelette, french toast, etc. [you get the idea]. They’re savory, so they could even double as a side for dinner.

Sweet Potato Hash Browns

Author:
Recipe type: Breakfast
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Hash browns made healthier with sweet potatoes. They're crispy and crunchy and perfect for breakfast & brunch.
Ingredients
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes [peeled and shredded]
  • ¼ c. sweet white onion [chopped]
  • 4 garlic cloves [minced]
  • 1½ Tbsp. olive oil
  • ¼ c. gluten-free flour
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
  • ½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
  • olive oil for frying
Instructions
  1. Wash and peel sweet potatoes, then shred them. Using a colander, rinse the sweet potatoes until the water runs mostly clear. Squeeze the rinsed potatoes to remove excess water and empty them into a medium bowl.
  2. Add onion, flour, garlic, salt, pepper, and 1½ tablespoons of olive oil to the sweet potatoes and mix everything well.
  3. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil to a cast iron or regular skillet and heat on medium-high. Test the pan by tossing in a couple of sweet potato shreds — if it crackles, the pan is ready. Use a ¼ cup to measure the sweet potato into the pan and then use a spatula to flatten them out.
  4. Cook for 3 minutes, then flip and cook for 2 more. You may need to vary the cooking time depending on your skillet and stove. Golden to medium brown and crispy is what you’re going for.
  5. As you finish the patties, remove them from the skillet and allow them to cool for a few minutes on a paper towel-lined plate.

Share:

62 comments

• thefitchen 29 August, 2013 at 10:23 Reply

We used a blend of flours — oat, brown rice, millet, chickpea. Coconut would likely work just fine! You might need to use a little less than we did because coconut flour is more absorbent.

1. indra 2 January, 2014 at 12:21 Reply

love the recipe! I used coconut oil instead of olive oil. Olive oil is not meant for med to high heat and changes to a unhealthy oil when cooked at high temps.

• thefitchen 24 January, 2014 at 14:15 Reply

No silly questions here! Rinsing the sweet potato gets rid of the starchy substance that it naturally has. Then, when you squeeze the water out, it takes the moisture out of the sweet potato, making them easier to fry up. Hope that helps!

2. Alana 18 February, 2014 at 23:14 Reply

I followed the recipe to a T but unfortunately, these sounded yummy but they didn’t work for me. I think they need something to bind them together – maybe a flax egg? How are they supposed to stick together?

• thefitchen 20 February, 2014 at 16:01 Reply

I’m sorry they didn’t work out for you! The flour and oil does a great job of keeping them held together for us. You could definitely try a flax egg to see if that helps! These definitely don’t come out looking like a solid, round potato hash brown [not like McDonald’s, for sure!]. They end up a bit more rough-looking.

• jodie 2 August, 2014 at 14:49 Reply

Iv just tried these I halved the recipe but as I’m from the UK I just estimated what looked right as we don’t use cups so I think iv over done it with the onion and there’s a bit of a bitter taste I also ended up adding an egg to try and bind it! My healthy hash browns have failed :(

• thefitchen 6 August, 2014 at 12:31 Reply

I’m sorry to hear that. :( Maybe with closer conversions it would work out – I hope you give it another try, these are SO delicious!

3. April 3 April, 2014 at 03:12 Reply

These are great, my only issue is that you didnt really specify how big the potatoes had to be and i used enourmous ones, meaning i had to improvise in order to get it to bind.

Also friendly suggestion! I added cashew, brazil nut and almond paste and lemon pepper to mine for a bit of something different and its great!

• thefitchen 12 April, 2014 at 12:34 Reply

We love these so much better than regular — perfect alongside eggs and turkey bacon or even waffles!

4. Genevieve 17 May, 2014 at 04:55 Reply

Yummm these worked perfectly for me. I quartered the recipe cuz it was just for me. I used rice flour. Perfectly crispy on the outside and mushy (but cooked) on the inside.

But lesson learned to make them small enough to flip!! Haha

5. Sophia 27 June, 2014 at 10:25 Reply

These are so great with an over easy egg on top. The yolk and the sweet potato taste so good together.

• thefitchen 28 June, 2014 at 09:58 Reply

Mmmm… doesn’t everything go better with an over-easy egg on top?? That’s my latest addiction. I must try it with these hash browns now!

6. Adam M 22 August, 2014 at 11:51 Reply

Wow! I used coconut flour and coconut oil instead of olive oil. Just threw it all in a big cast iron pan and fried it up together. This was so delicious! The garlic cloves in this were perfect.

• thefitchen 22 August, 2014 at 14:19 Reply

Awesome! Glad to know those changes still worked. Totally agree – these hash browns are the bomb! Thanks for letting us know. :)

• thefitchen 31 March, 2015 at 00:11 Reply

Hi Lindsay –

Love how you paired the hash browns with chicken! What a smart side dish. I usually only think of having hash browns for breakfast but hey, why not have them for dinner?!

7. Michael 11 April, 2015 at 10:51 Reply

Why is there a novella before the recipe? Do I have to read it every time I make them? – Sincerely, A Fuck Face

• thefitchen 12 April, 2015 at 11:07 Reply

Hi “A Fuck Face” –

Luckily, there’s no one holding a gun to your head to require you to read the blog post that accompanies my recipe. Since you seem to be unaware of what a blog is, you’re more than welcome to seek out recipes from elsewhere in the future. Perhaps marthastewart.com or pauladeen.com would be more suited to your tastes.

Sincerely,
      The Fitchen’s Novellista-in-Chief

• Arleen 24 July, 2016 at 07:38 Reply

I think this was the only blog I read completely thru. It was so interesting. I usually skip to the recipe which is usually in a box at the bottom. Trolls….

Making this this am. Debating on adding an egg or swapping coconut flour. Could do Noth I suppose and leave the amt of coconut flour the same.

• thefitchen 24 July, 2016 at 12:05 Reply

Hi Arleen – Thanks for reading and for the kind words! I’m glad you enjoyed the post. :) I hope you love these hash browns!

8. Rain 17 May, 2015 at 09:50 Reply

This sounds soooooo good ! About how many hash browns will this recipe yield ? And also , i plan to make these ahead of time so i can eat them throughtout the week … best way to reheat ?

• thefitchen 17 May, 2015 at 11:06 Reply

Hi Rain –

This recipe makes about 6-8 hash browns, depending on the size of your potatoes and how large you make the hash browns. I haven’t tried to reheat them, but I would recommend using the oven at 400º to keep them crispy. Just watch them for burning at that temperature – it should only take a few minutes to heat them back up!

9. Dee 30 May, 2015 at 14:03 Reply

Delicious! I mixed the ingredients together well, then made round cakes by forming them by hand and flattening a bit. The thinner they are, the crispier. Since they resembled mini potato pancakes I added a little sour cream to the top. Hubby and I both loved them. It takes some time to prepare but it was worth it.

10. Nakita 9 September, 2015 at 13:30 Reply

This recipe is absolutely fantastic. The hash browns were simply divine! I added 1/2 cup of spinach to the mix and used sweet potato flour. Thanks so much for posting.

• thefitchen 12 September, 2015 at 20:57 Reply

Hi Nakita –

Thanks so much for your feedback! I’m so glad you loved the hash browns – I love the idea of adding spinach. My fridge is crammed with garden chard right now and that sounds like a great solution!

11. PFletch 1 January, 2016 at 02:20 Reply

Hi Jordan & Clark,

To make my weekday mornings easier, i’ve been making “Make Ahead Healthy Egg McMuffin Copycats” from The Yummy Life . I use a “sandwich thin” for them, and, no matter how late i am, i can grab one and be out the door in 2 minutes.

Your Sweet Potato Hash Browns will be a perfect go-with, and lunch won’t seem so far off. I’m going to try baking them in the whoopie pans, too. This recipe has my mouth watering — and i surely do love sweet potatoes?! Thank you!!!

• thefitchen 4 January, 2016 at 15:46 Reply

That sounds like a fantastic breakfast – what a feast! These hash browns will definitely go perfect with an egg “mcmuffin.” Enjoy, and happy breakfasting!

12. Jess 22 February, 2016 at 16:14 Reply

Made these for breakfast today and loved them, thank you for the recipe!
    I used buckwheat flour and as someone above mentioned, the mixture didn’t bind in the bowl at all. However! I squished my mixture into my 1/4 cup measurer to make 4 little patties and just kept squishing them back together in the pan. It worked a treat and they were heavenly :)
    Glad to find a recipe for sweet potato cakes/hash browns that doesn’t include an egg as I like mine on top!

• thefitchen 23 February, 2016 at 11:28 Reply

Hi Jess –

Thanks for letting us know! I’m so glad you liked them. :) I’m with you – an egg on top makes everything better!

13. Elizabeth 23 March, 2016 at 16:11 Reply

This sounds amazing! Will make for breakfast on Friday as we are doing a colon cleanse and do not eat anything white or grains…..lots of almond/coconut flour and all things coconut.
    Have 5 dozen very fresh farm free range eggs to use.
    Thank you. Love the blog and all information you provide.
    Elizabeth

14. Jan Van Dessel 16 April, 2016 at 05:27 Reply

Followed recipe as described and worked perfectly. Great to discover a new addition to our ‘treat’ breakfast. Thanks de posting :)

• thefitchen 17 May, 2016 at 13:51 Reply

Hi Jan –

I’m glad to hear you liked the hash browns! They’re perfect for special breakfasts. :)

15. D 21 May, 2016 at 20:42 Reply

Excellent – highly recommend ! Over easy egg on top, sliced avocado on side – great breakfast for supper tonight

• thefitchen 25 May, 2016 at 12:18 Reply

Thanks for letting us know! So glad you enjoyed these. :) Yes – they are perfect for reheating, too!

16. scott gianola 26 May, 2016 at 09:59 Reply

great hashbrowns, add greens on top, eggs on top of that,adda side of baking powder biscuts
    don’t forget the a little hot sauce and stand back ,enjoy!!!!!!!