These vegan lettuce wraps require minimal prep and just one skillet! The filling is a combination of seasoned, sautéed mushrooms and tofu and the toppings are up to you.
Does the world really need my version? Well, when the lettuce wraps are as good as these, the answer is most definitely YES.
In most cases, I think of lettuce wraps as a cutesy appetizer. Something that I would order before dinner to make it seem like I had a “salad” and therefore ate somewhat healthy. These lettuce wraps do not fall into the category of snack or app, though. These bad boys are different. They’re filling. And when I say they’re filling, you need to understand that I ate just one and even though I wanted a second, I literally couldn’t manage it.
These lettuce wraps are intended to be a MEAL. Pull the ingredients together and it’s ready in 20 minutes. You will leave the table full and satisfied, and you won’t have a whole kitchen of cleaning to deal with.
I made our wraps with butter lettuce because it looked so fresh and bright that I couldn’t resist. For the leftovers, though, I scooped the filling onto romaine leaves and it was equally delish. Which brings me to my next point – this recipe is perfect for meal prep! I’ve tried it A) fresh out of the skillet, B) reheated, and C) right out of the fridge, all of which are 100% awesome.
Did I mention? This recipe takes less than 25 minutes from start to finish – including prep. BOOM. So, hurry off to make these and don’t forget to tell me about it. Share your picture with me on the Insta so I can brag about you on my story!Print
Spicy Tofu Mushroom Lettuce Wraps
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 cups
- Category: Main
- 3 cups mushrooms, (I used half white button and half baby portobello)
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu
- butter lettuce or romaine
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 1/2″ nub of ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 Tablespoons chili garlic sauce (Huy Fong brand)*
- 2 Tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar (white wine vinegar works, too)
- 2 Tablespoons hoisin
- Green onions
- Sesame seeds
- Drain tofu thoroughly of all excess liquid. Press it between a clean towel or paper towels to ensure that it is as dry as possible.
- Clean mushrooms and chop finely.
- Clean lettuce thoroughly and dry it as much as possible.
- In a large skillet, bring oil to medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and sauté 2 minutes. Add chili garlic sauce and continue to stir.
- Add mushrooms and tofu. Use a spatula to break the tofu up into small chunks.
- Add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and hoisin. Continue to stir for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and scoop the mixture into the lettuce leaves.
- Top with green onions, avocado, sesame seeds, sriracha, or whatever else your heart desires!
*Huy Fong’s chili garlic sauce is available at almost every major grocery store and supermarket, and Wal-Mart too. It’s usually near the sriracha in an ethnic food aisle.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 149
- Sugar: 0.8 g
- Sodium: 346.5 mg
- Fat: 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8.9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.6 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 12.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g