What a weekend! Yes, I know it’s Wednesday. I had every intention of getting this post online on Monday. But that was before extended our camping trip through Sunday – a decision I don’t remotely regret. 💁 After some relaxation and time away, I’m feeling refreshed and geared back up. Everybody needs a little bit of that every now and then.
I knew this recipe would be right here waiting to be posted whenever we got back. Because it’s a lazy recipe for these glorious last few weeks of summer. The sun’s still hot, the days are still long, and none of us feel much like cooking. Just grab this salad out of the fridge and serve yourself up. Serve everybody up. Or save some for lunch every day this week.
That’s why recipes like this are my favorite. You can make a huge batch and set it aside for later – and somehow, it actually gets better. The rice soaks up the dressing and all of the other ingredients marinate together for maximum happiness with minimum effort.
This is a simple cold rice salad with vibrant flavors and textures – there’s a zesty lemon dressing, sweet chunks of mango, crunchy black rice, salty sunflower seeds, and a handful of red onion because I love it so much. 💜💜 Oh, and cilantro because mango and cilantro are best friends. 💁Print
Mango Black Rice Salad
This bright, crunchy rice salad combines sweet chunks of mango, black rice, salty sunflower seeds, and red onion, all wrapped up in a zesty lemon dressing.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Appetizer
- 2 cups black forbidden rice
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 3/4 teaspoon cane sugar
- Sea salt to taste
- In a large pot, bring rice and 2-3/4 cups of water. Add a pinch of salt then cover and reduce heat to low. Stirring occasionally, simmer until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender – approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the mangoes, red onion, cilantro, scallions, and lemon juice.
- Juice the lemon into a medium sized bowl over a sieve to collect the seeds. Add the soy sauce, olive oil, grapefruit juice, sugar, and whisk together.
- In a large bowl, toss the rice, mango, onion, scallions, cilantro, sunflower seeds, and dressing until well combined.
- Serve cool or at room temperature.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, lemon juice, and salt if desired.
- Calories: 310
- Sugar: 11.2g
- Sodium: 115.1mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 43.2g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Protein: 6.2g
- Cholesterol: 0g