Pop quiz: what’s the best time to make/eat soup? If you said when the weather is dreary, you’re correct! Your prize is the recipe for this bone-warming, savory kale soup with hearty chunks of vegetables.
After about 10 days of glorious, melt-your-makeup sunshine and temperatures, Indiana woke up to cloudy, misty, and chilly weather this morning. I’m nowhere near ready for cool weather or fall whatsoever, but I know a good opportunity to make soup when I see it.
I’m clinging on to the hope that there is plenty more summer ahead and that I can keep this recipe stored away for colder days like way, way later this year. If it’s still warm outside where you live, I suggest you do the same. Unless you’re the kind of person who likes soup on hot days… in which case, carry on.
The main reason I made this soup is because, after seeing organic kale [!!!!!!] at our local Kroger, I got a little too excited and maybe bought too much. Hey… it’s not every day you see that kind of thing!
It would’ve been a crime to let it go to waste, so we had to come up with some creative ways to use it all before it went bad. This soup used about half of it, so we’ve got a good amount left now to use in smoothies or salads. Thank you Kroger for unintentionally putting us on a kale diet – I suppose there are worse things to binge on.
There are 4 reasons you’re going to love this soup –
1. All of the cooking happens in a slow cooker. Set it and forget it!
2. It’s super healthy and low-calorie.
3. Soup-weather is right around the corner.
4. You’ll have leftovers for days. We reheated ours and poured it over a bowl of quinoa – even more filling!
Let us know what you think of this soup and if you make it, ‘gram it! You also better use #thefitchen so we can see your awesome chef skills.Print
Crockpot Kale Vegetable Soup
A wholesome and healthy soup made from kale and veggies. The Moroccan-inspired flavors are warm and slightly spiced, perfect for the cooler fall temps.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Mains
- 1 carton of vegetable broth
- 5 leaves of kale
- 5 medium carrots
- 1 can of white beans
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 of a red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4–5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 Tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Prepare the vegetables as follows.
- Slice kale away from stalks and chop into bite sized pieces. Chop carrots into small pieces – the smaller they are, the quicker they will cook! Chop onion. Peel garlic. Drain both cans of beans.
- Add everything into the crockpot, mix with a big spoon, and set the heat to high.
- The kale will take a while to cook down, but it eventually will.
- If desired, you can stir it every so often. It will do all of the cooking itself, though. If it starts to look too hot, just decrease the heat for a while.
- Cook 4 hours, or until the carrots are tender, and serve in bowls. I recommend a piece of gluten-free toast to go along with your soup.