Easy Mexican Beans and Rice
This easy, filling dish is made with the simplest of ingredients and cooks effortlessly in a rice cooker.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Main
- 2 cups brown rice (using cup included with your rice cooker)
- 1 – 15 oz. can of black beans, drained
- 1 – 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons green chiles
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups water (using cup included with your rice cooker)
- Combine all ingredients in a rice cooker, adding water last.
- Pour in water and stir to combine.
- Cook until rice is tender and all water has evaporated, approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes
- When cooking time nears an end, open the rice cooker and taste the rice. If it is still slightly crunchy, add 1/2 cup water and stir. Continue cooking. As not all brown rice is the same, some brands cook different.
- Serve with fresh cilantro if desired.
The quantities for this recipe are based on the measuring cup that is included with standard rice cookers. Regular measuring cups will not result in the same outcome.