I know, I know. Slow cooker beans isn’t exactly the kind of recipe that screams “happy spring!” But I like beans and I love my slow cooker, so here we are. Seasonality aside, this recipe is one to add to your arsenal of easy, healthy, go-to dishes.
For round one, we scooped the stuff on top of rice and had it for lunch. We happened to have basmati on hand, leftover from last week’s vindaloo. But it would be delicious over most any kind of rice. For leftovers, we heated up a big bowl and used it as a hearty dip with blue corn chips.
After it was already gone and alas, too late, I had the brilliant epiphany – serve it up in taco shells. That is SO happening next time.
Like the recipe itself, I’ll keep this post short and to-the-point. This dish is great for a number of reasons:
1) Food this easy should be a crime.
2) It’s healthy: high in protein, fiber, and nutrients and relatively low in calories.
3) It’s super inexpensive to make. Even moreso if you choose to eliminate the chicken.
4) It can be served several different ways [refer to above paragraph.] 5. It makes excellent leftovers.
And most importantly, 6) It’s freakin’ delicious.
Convinced yet? Go drag out that slow cooker and get to work!
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken and Beans
Full of savory beans, subtle spice, and tender chicken, this versatile dish comes together in your crockpot.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Mains
- 15 oz. pinto beans
- 4 oz. can of green chiles [chopped]
- 3–4 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce [chopped]
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 4 oz. quality salsa
- 1 medium onion [sliced thin]
- 4 oz. olive oil
- 4 oz. chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and use a spoon to mix.
- Set temperature to low and cook for 4-6 hours.
- After the time has passed, use two forks to shred the chicken breasts. They should be super tender and easy to work with at this point.
- Serve over rice, as a dip, or in taco or burritos shells.