Shhh… there are no eggs in this breakfast burrito. Nope. None! Did I fool you?
It looks and tastes like eggs, but in fact, it’s tofu! I’m not sure if you knew this before now, but tofu is practically the most versatile food on the planet. In this colorful and healthy breakfast burrito, savory tofu serves as the filling, protein-packed base for all kinds of veggies.
You’re going to love these burritos because they’re easy, inexpensive to make, and they serve up to 4 people!
Tofu is a blast from the past for me – after we learned how to cook with it our junior year of college and realized how versatile it was, we were eating it all of the time. Partially because the stuff is awesome and partially because we were super broke and it’s cheap.
To be honest, it’s been a while since we’ve had any tofu around here. For whatever reason, we stopped eating it cold turkey one day. I think it’s time for a tofu renaissance.
With tofu, the possibilities are endless. I think a lot of people are hesitant to try it because it looks strange, the texture is weird, they’re not sure what to do with it, etc. But once you get the hang of a simple recipe like these burritos, you’ll want to cook with tofu more and more.
As long as you season it and cook it properly, it’s easy and approachable, and you can really do almost anything with it. We’ve made crunchy tofu nuggets, tofu burgers tofu soup, tofu stir-fry, and coming soon – tofu caprese salad!
When you make these burritos – and I know you will – take a photo and post it to Instagram. If you tag #thefitchen, we’ll get to see your beautiful creation and regram it. The same goes with every one of our recipes – we want to see what you’re cookin’!
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, so if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got to go help Clark make a couple of burritos disappear.
Healthy Vegan Breakfast Burritos
Tofu takes the place of eggs in this healthy breakfast burrito – veggies, beans, and avocado make this a flavorful and nutritious morning meal!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 4 gluten free brown rice tortillas
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3/4 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tomato
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- juice of 1/2 lime
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 – 15 oz. can black beans
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 avocado
- Drain tofu and use paper towel to smash out as much water as possible.
- Use a fork to break it apart and crumble it. Sprinkle about a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of pepper over the tofu and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- For the pico de gallo – finely chop the tomato and cilantro. In a small bowl, mix tomato, cilantro, lime juice, sea salt, and pepper.
- Drain 1 can of black beans and add to a medium pot. Mix in chipotle pepper and heat until warm.
- Mash the avocado and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium. Add crumbled tofu and stir to coat with oil. Add turmeric and remaining salt and mix well. Continue stirring until tofu is heated throughout.
- Heat tortillas in the oven for 2-4 minutes.
- Now for assembly – spread avocado onto the tortilla first, then spoon beans, then tofu, then pico.
- Fold and wrap, slice in half, and enjoy!