5-Minute Vegan Alfredo Sauce[Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free]

Alfredo is one of life’s simple pleasures. So creamy, so comforting, so buttery – so GOOD. If only it was good for you. On a random whim, we decided to experiment with the idea of a healthier alfredo sauce. No butter, no cream, no cheese. Oh, and it only takes about 5 minutes to make. The Italian in all of us can now celebrate.

INGREDIENTS [yields 12 oz. sauce]

1 c. coconut milk [the canned kind]
1/2 c. nutritional yeast
1 medium clove of garlic
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper

Mince the garlic and add all of the ingredients to a blender. Blend until the consistency is smooth and creamy – you know, like alfredo sauce. Give it a taste test [nope, you’re not dreaming] and then pour it over the pasta of your choosing. IT’S REALLY THAT SIMPLE!

5-Minute Vegan Alfredo Sauce

We used spiraled zucchini noodles and enjoyed every last bite, but this would presumably work with any kind of pasta. [Our Spiraler is made by Paderno World Cuisine and is available from Amazon on the cheap, just in case you’re in the market.] If you’re eating this sauce with hot noodles, simply warm it over low heat, stirring frequently. When it’s warm enough, pour it over your pasta and enjoy!

[yumprint-recipe id=’29’]

• thefitchen 20 September, 2013 at 08:40 Reply

Coconut milk is quite a bit thicker. Almond milk would work…but it would be very runny. We haven’t tried it, let us know if you do!

• Cortney 5 April, 2014 at 18:41 Reply

If you make your own raw almond milk it is thicker than even coconut milk. If you look up a recipe online make sure you do no more than 4 cups of water to one cup of almonds or it won’t be as creamy. I do 3.5 cups. It is AMAZING for smoothies and lattes. :-)

1. Emily 24 September, 2013 at 21:54 Reply

I am in awe of how tasty this recipe is! Seriously, dairy free alfredo from good ingredients? I was a little scared that with this ingredient list, it would be a total flop. But not so! I did add a touch of potato starch to thicken it because it was so thin, although that was probably my own fault due to not adhering super closely to the recipe. Well done!

2. Saysha 9 October, 2013 at 22:11 Reply

let me start off by saying I love cheese. It just makes everything better. However I have been trying to lay off cheese. I am a fan of vegetarian / vegan healthy dishes, so I gave this a try tonight hoping it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of Alfredo sauce because I’ve tried many mock alfredo sauces. mock alfredo sauce using parsnips…..Don’t do it. Lol. also I’m not the kind of person who leave comments but this recipe was delicious. to me it’s missing a teeny tiny little thing but let me tell you it is so near to spot on. I’m grateful to the inventor of this recipe. Thanks. God Bless.

3. suzicat 28 January, 2014 at 20:20 Reply

OMG this is genius. Need it now. Going to make it now. And I’m using “chik’n” strips and adding broccoli florets with it. Thank you! You’re brilliant :)

4. Nena 11 March, 2014 at 13:40 Reply

OMG this was simply AMAZING! I slowly simmered it on medium heat and I only had half the nutritional yeast on hand so I mixed in a tea spoon of corn starch with cold water and slowly poured it in to make it a little thicker. I did throw in some cooked shrimp the last few minutes and let those cook in the sauce and just mixed in my pasta. I’m already thinking about the left over for dinner at work:) I’ll be making this weekly thank you!

• thefitchen 11 March, 2014 at 17:43 Reply

Way to improvise! This is definitely one of my favorite recipes… so simple and yummy. I’m drooling over the shrimp idea — OMG.

5. Cammy 1 April, 2014 at 17:35 Reply

My friend and I are vegetarians working toward veganism (DARN THAT CHEESE!). We didn’t have nutritional yeast, so we ground up cashews. It was amazing! Could have eaten the whole thing myself! Now have nutritional yeast in the cupboards, can’t wait to try it that way!

• thefitchen 3 April, 2014 at 22:14 Reply

What a genius modification! I have to try that ASAP — thanks for the idea. Oh, and cheese. Well, I’ve always had a love-hate relationship there. ;)

• thefitchen 24 June, 2014 at 16:49 Reply

Yum! It looks so delicious served with penne – might have to try that soon. ;) Ahhh, nooch! Try sprinkling it over homemade popcorn and you’ve got a perfect salty, cheesy snack.

6. Amy 8 August, 2016 at 12:58 Reply

How long does it take to thicken in the blender? It’s been about 10 minutes and it’s still not thickening

• thefitchen 10 August, 2016 at 11:22 Reply

It shouldn’t take long at all – if it is too runny, I’d recommend adding more nutritional yeast. Sorry it didn’t quite work out!