Gluten Free Potstickers – The Fitchen

I am so excited to share this recipe with you guys. It’s been in the works for a long time now but I wanted to make sure it was just right before releasing it into the great big interweb. Finally here, in all of their adorable, veggie-filled glory, are these perfect gluten-free potstickers.

The wrappers only require 3 simple ingredients and the stuff we’re going to stuff ’em with is the bomb. It’s a mixture of 6 veggies in a special sauce that achieves tangy, savory, and spicy magic.

Gluten Free Potstickers – The Fitchen

Just look at that golden brown, lightly fried crispiness. Yes, please. I’ll have 10 more potstickers, thank you.

Full disclosure here – this is not the easiest recipe I’ve ever shared and it’s not going to be the easiest one you’ll ever make. From start to finish, it involves about 2 hours of “work.” Kind of like homemade pizza or sugar cookies, this is a fun recipe that lets you get your hands dirty and gets easier the more times you make it. I have faith in you. You can handle this recipe!

BUT – If you’re short on time or just feeling lazy, I won’t judge you for using store-bought wrappers and stuffing it with this filling.

Scroll past the recipe for some helpful process photos and feel free to comment with any questions!

Gluten Free Potstickers
  • Fiber: 1 g
  • Protein: 3 g
Recipe type: Main
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Using just a few simple ingredients, you can make your own crispy, savory, and gluten free potstickers at home!
  • 10 oz. all purpose gluten free flour (I use Wholesome Chow and highly recommend it!)
  • 5-6 oz. boiled water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups of cabbage, shredded
  • 1 portobello cap, chopped finely
  • 1 cup green onion, chopped finely
  • 1 cup carrot, chopped finely
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 thumb of ginger, minced
  • 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
  • ¼ cup soy sauce or tamari
  • ½ teaspoon white pepper
Dipping Sauce
  • ¼ cup sesame oil
  • 2 Tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
  • 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons honey
  • about 1 Tablespoon of lime juice
  • 1 Tablespoon red chili flakes
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  1. Bring 5-6 ounces of water to a boil. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Make a hollow in the center of the mixture.
  2. Once water is boiling, slowly pour it into the well that you created in the flour bowl. Stir to incorporate the water. Continue adding water and stirring until the dough starts clumping together. At this stage, it's time to use your hands.
  3. Start kneading the dough until it becomes one solid ball – it should be firm but not crumbly or sticky.
  4. Knead on your counter for 2 minutes. Shape the dough back into a ball and wrap it tightly in plastic.
  5. Set aside to rest for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
  1. Prepare all veggies and spices as instructed above and combine in a large bowl.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together sesame oil, soy sauce, and white pepper.
  3. Pour into the bowl with the veggies and mix until well-coated. Set aside.
  1. Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and whisk together.
Creating & Stuffing Wraps
  1. Lightly flour your rolling surface, hands, and rolling pin.
  2. To make rolling more manageable, divide the dough into 4 smaller portions.
  3. Roll dough until it is as thin as possible without tearing or making holes. You're aiming for paper thin!
  4. Use your cookie cutter to start cutting out the wrappers. Set each one aside for filling later.
  5. When you've created all the wrappers, fill a small bowl with water.
  6. Spoon 1 teaspoon of filling into the center of the wrapper, dip your fingers into the water and wet the edge of the wrapper furthest from you. Fold the dry side over and gently seal the edges together, making sure to press all of the air out around the filling. If desired, carefully create pleats with your fingers.
  7. Set finished potstickers aside on a tray until you're ready to fry.
  1. Heat ¼ cup of oil (olive or sesame) in a large skillet to medium heat.
  2. Carefully place potstickers into the heated skillet and sauté for 5 minutes. Add ¼ cup of water and cover to begin steaming.
  3. Steam for 10-12 minutes, checking occasionally and moving the potstickers around in the pan to prevent burning.
  4. Serve with sauce and dip away!
You'll need a large round cookie cutter or tart form to create the wrappers.
The dipping sauce is NOT vegan. But you can use maple syrup instead of honey, or use a different dip entirely.
These can easily be frozen for later enjoyment. Just fill a plate with the potstickers and freeze. Once they're frozen, they can be transferred to a Ziplock and sealed airtight. To cook them: boil 6 cups of water and carefully place frozen potstickers into the pot. Boil for 5 minutes, allow to cool, and enjoy!
PS – This is how they look after boiling.

1. T 15 July, 2015 at 02:33 Reply

Ohh they sound tasty and a lot better price than the $8 for 6 of them I’ve seen at the store that turned out terrible. I may have to make a bunch of these for easy meals in the future! Have you tried pan frying them after frozen?

• Gabby 23 December, 2015 at 07:43 Reply

Trader Joe’s makes a good potsticker and there are a lot in the bag and reasonably priced.
      yes these look good and I do plan to try them because my daughter can’t eat gluten without getting an upset stomach.

• Karen 29 September, 2015 at 09:42 Reply

I use San-J Organic Tamari. It is 100% whole soy and Gluten free. I get it at Giant Food Stores/Stop & Shop. Not sure where you are located. Also, La Choy brand sauces which are pretty much available in all main stream stores in the asian food aisle are Gluten free according to their website (I use La choy when I run out of Tamari)

2. Kass 29 September, 2015 at 14:03 Reply

Agree with another comment about the soy sauce, if keeping this recipe GF should substitute to GF soy sauce (Kikkoman, San-J all available in many grocery stores), amino acid (Bragg’s Soy Amino or Coconut Secret’s Coconut Aminos) are great as well

3. Nina 29 October, 2015 at 08:22 Reply

This was delicious! We used a Bob’s Red Mill GF flour. Was great. I used the food processor to chop everything up in small pieces and it made for super fast prep. We didn’t use any oil in the filling and cut back by 1/2 in the dipping sauce because the oil separated and sat on the top and took away from the other lovely flavors in the sauce. We had to cut back on the red pepper because it was too much for us. Have no idea is right for others. The potstickers were really tasty and we are definitely making again. Thanks so much!

4. Myriah 15 December, 2015 at 01:37 Reply

to freeze them: do you cook them first in the oil, freeze them, and then boil? Or do you freeze them uncooked, and the boiling is what cooks them?

5. Jennifer 31 December, 2015 at 13:22 Reply

Cilantro is great in the filling too. I see you have it decoratively arranged in your beautiful photos! Great recipe!

• thefitchen 31 December, 2015 at 14:33 Reply

Good call! It would be great in the filling. I’m a cilantro freak… so I’m not sure why we didn’t include it! Thank you. :)

• thefitchen 18 January, 2016 at 16:03 Reply

You’re correct! Luckily, though, the potstickers themselves do not contain honey – just the optional dipping sauce. It could easily be swapped with brown rice syrup or maple syrup. Or, you could use a completely different dip if desired! They’re great with soy sauce and sriracha.

6. Jean 27 January, 2016 at 05:02 Reply

These look fabulous! I haven’t had much good luck with gf baking and wondered how well the wrappers would hold up but based on the comments I will def give these a try. Thank you for sharing!

• thefitchen 27 January, 2016 at 13:11 Reply

Best of luck, Jean! GF cooking can be a little tricky sometimes, no doubt. I highly recommend using Wholesome Chow’s all purpose mix for these.

7. Courtney 4 February, 2016 at 12:00 Reply

Great recipe! I did use a tortilla press so my wrappers were very thin. Not as pretty as yours but they were SO good. Thank you for giving me something back I thought I could not have! Worth the time.

8. Trish 6 February, 2016 at 05:28 Reply

Do they hold up to freezing and boiling? It is Chinese New Year and here in China they are boiled not fried. Also I usually dip in a vinegar sauce not soy sauce. So that is another option. I am hoping these work so I can have Jiaozi for CNY. Thank you for the recipe.

9. Katie 11 February, 2016 at 23:01 Reply

I just made these with store bought won ton wrappers and they were amazing but I had to add almost 5 tbspoons sweet pickle juice to make the stuffing edible. It was wayyyyyyy tooo SALTY before. I tested the mix before putting in wrappers and was almost toooo much to even eat, so I added sweet pickle juice till it was edible and fried a few of them up to test and they were awesome! I recommend taking the soy sauce down to about half suggested and test first.
    Thank you for posting!

10. Andrea 5 March, 2016 at 17:38 Reply

I am confused with the fry/ steam….. I fry and then add water to the oil???? Isn’t that going to make them soggy? And adding water to oil???? Dangerous?

• thefitchen 8 March, 2016 at 12:43 Reply

I know it seems counter-intuitive, but trust me – it works! The quick sear adds a crisp and the steaming cooks the filling. I was hesitant to try the method as well, but it works like a charm.

11. Susan 27 March, 2016 at 09:05 Reply

If you roll into a big square, you can cut into wonton wrapper size squares, about 3×3, with a pizza cutter. Fold into triangles when you stuff. Much faster and no wasted dough. Keep a damp paper towel over your stack of wrappers so they won’t dry out before you finish stuffing them. We do that even with store bought ones.

12. Kelsey 2 April, 2016 at 21:55 Reply

Any suggestions or idea of how these may work in egg roll wrappers versus the wrapper recipe you’ve provided? I have the egg roll wrappers on hand hence why I am curious of thoughts!

• thefitchen 3 April, 2016 at 11:11 Reply

That’s a great question! The filling should work fine in egg roll wrappers – and I assume you could cook them the same way OR bake them. If you try, let me know how it works!

13. Dr. Kimberley @HealthyLifeRedesign 11 May, 2016 at 20:07 Reply

These look absolutely delicious! I’m a naturopathic doc and help people identify their food sensitivities. Since those sensitivities are often to dairy, gluten and eggs I’m always on the lookout for tasty gluten free, vegan recipes to share with my patients and online community. I’m sharing this to my pinterest page and Facebook page now! Thanks again guys :) Can’t wait to make a double batch!!

14. Kay 23 May, 2016 at 12:59 Reply

Seems like there is some confusion here. To clear things up: soy sauce isn’t gluten-free (I’ll have to check on Kroger’s brand to know for sure, but I thought that something about the process of making soy sauce made it non-gluten-free). Honey isn’t vegan, but bee-free honey (really good!) and brown rice syrup are good alternatives… or just sugar (processed WITHOUT bone char, of course, as many white sugars are). Store-bought egg roll wrappers/wonton wrappers generally aren’t vegan (eggs) OR gluten-free but health food stores near you may carry ones that are vegan and/or gluten-free. Tamari is a gluten-free alternative to soy sauce–it’s really a lot like soy sauce, often almost identical-tasting, but the process used to make it leaves you with a gluten-free product (incidentally, it wasn’t designed to be gluten-free, it just is). And you can use the other things like Bragg’s liquid aminos, coocnut aminos, etc. as others mentioned in place of soy sauce, but tamari or Bragg’s liquid aminos are going to be best for an end product that tastes like it was made with soy sauce. Hope that helps some folks!

• Sherry 25 May, 2016 at 13:39 Reply

Some soy sauce contains wheat which is why it is not gluten free. There are in fact many brands of gluten free soy sauce! At least there are here in Canada :)

• thefitchen 25 May, 2016 at 13:47 Reply

Hi Kay –

There seems to be a lot of back and forth on this topic, thanks for your input! I generally use tamari, unless I cannot find any and I’m in a pinch.

15. elisa 15 June, 2016 at 22:02 Reply

I tried making the dough for the wrappers three times and three times I failed miserably. The first time the dough was too wet. I used the full 6 oz of water, it came out too sticky and would not roll. The second time the dough came out too dry i used 5/12 oz water that time. I could not get any filling in my wrappers the dough was cracking from being too dry and playable enough. the thirst time I used 6 oz of water and same thing too sticky. Each night I tried my hand a making the wrappers ended the same, me in tears from frustration going to bed hungry. I used bobs red mill gluten free flour for reference. What am I don’t wrong?

• thefitchen 17 June, 2016 at 13:35 Reply

Hi Elisa –

I am SO sorry that this recipe didn’t work out. Bob’s Red Mill is a very different blend of flours compared to what we used – Wholesome Chow. That probably had a pretty big effect on the consistency of your dough. Bob’s is great for a lot of recipes, but we found that the rice flour blend (Wholesome Chow) works better for this recipe. I hate to hear how frustrated this made you – and I hope you will have better results!

16. Kathryn 24 August, 2016 at 14:17 Reply

I’ve got a package of coconut wraps and I am really wondering if those might work instead of having to make the dough by hand. Might have to try this ;)