These are a few of my favorite things – sweet potatoes, avocados, black beans, burritos, and spicy. Also, Clark. Clark is back! Everybody say “Hiiiiiiiiii, Clark!”
Excuse my enthusiasm – I’ve just really missed my dude. 5 weeks is way, way too long to be apart. Thankfully, I survived to tell the tale and to give you the gift of burritos. Life is good today.
This kind of recipe is my favorite to make and to share – when I have a bunch of random produce sitting around the kitchen and I figure out how to put it all together. The huge bag of gorgeous collard greens that I picked up at Whole Foods for $1.50 per bunch seemed like a good place to start.
When I bought these collards, I planned on sautéing them up with garlic and onion with a cajun twist like we usually do. But then I got them home, took a better look at them and I just couldn’t do it. Every leaf in both of the bunches was perfect. It didn’t seem right to cook them. Change of plans – roast sweet potatoes in a smoky, spicy blend of seasonings, smash up the avocados, kick up the black beans a notch, and fill the chard leaves until they overflow. [All of this while sneaking sweet potatoes off the baking sheet because they are seriously addicting.]
Take all of my favorite things [except Clark] and roll them all up in a big, beautiful leaf? Perfection.Print
Sweet Potato Black Bean Collard Wraps
This healthy burrito is filled with flavorful sweet potatoes, black beans, and avocado to keep you full for hours.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Main
- 4 collard leaves
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 avocado
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 red onion
- Thoroughly rinse 4 chard leaves and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 415º and line a baking sheet, or two if necessary, with parchment.
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes into 1/2″ chunks. In a large bowl, toss with olive oil and seasonings. Arrange on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally. They are done when they’re fork tender.
- Drain beans and mix with salt and garlic powder.
- Mash avocado and mix in salt and pepper.
- Chop red pepper into thin slices or dice it, if you prefer.
- Use the back of a spoon to spread mashed avocado on the leaf, then spoon beans and sweet potatoes on top. Add onion and cilantro and wrap it all up!
- Calories: 288
- Sugar: 6 g
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 38 g
- Fiber: 12 g
- Protein: 10 g