Some nights you’re not in the mood to cook something fancy. And maybe you live too far away from any not-God-awful restaurants from which you could safely order delivery. Maybe you’re not feeling like cereal for dinner, either.
When we found ourselves in this boat on Friday night, these were our salvation. Easy, quick, and filling – these suckers also come with a delightful touch of spiciness. We mashed up some avocados, stacked each patty on a collard green leaf, and topped them with juicy sliced tomatoes. They were done just in time for a rooftop sunset.
Ingredients [makes 4 burgers]
1 can of chickpeas, drained [15 oz.]
1/4 c. oats
1/8 c. pepitas
1 medium carrot – shredded
2 cloves of garlic – minced
about 2 T. chopped cilantro
1 T. tahini [optional] 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 t. sea salt
1/4 t. chili powder
1/8 t. cayenne
1/8 t. red pepper flakes
1/8 t. cumin
4 collard green leaves
2 avocados – mashed
1 tomato – sliced
1. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment or olive oil spray. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. In a food processor, combine oats and pepitas and process until flour-ish. Then add chickpeas and pulse.
3. Next, add the mixture to a medium bowl and combine all of the other ingredients. Use your hands to mix everything thoroughly.
4. Wet hands and form 4 patties.
5. Place the pan into the oven and bake for 10 minutes, then flip and return to the oven for another 8-10 minutes. Serve them up however you like and enjoy. PS – these are also great to save and reheat.