Remember when I said you don’t need mayo to make potato salad? Well, you also don’t need marshmallows to make rice crispy treats. Is this blasphemy? No, sir! It’s amazing.
Because these are better than regular rice crispy treats ever thought about being. Because there’s peanut butter and honey and chocolate. You can’t resist this. You need these krispies in your life.
Like that sweet potato salad recipe from the other day, this recipe was also featured in Edible Indy’s summer issue. It’s perfect for snacking, taking on picnics, or eating a whole batch while watching Fear the Walking Dead. Side note: I never thought I’d be someone who watched zombie shows. But it’s happening and there’s no turning back. Is anyone else watching?
Make these new school rice crispy treats ASAP – you’ll never go back to the marshmallow dark side again.Print
No-Marshmallow Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
Peanut butter and honey are the glue that holds these healthier, tastier rice crispy treats together. They’re perfect for snacking and (maybe) sharing.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 18
- Category: Dessert
- 3 cups brown rice crisps
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon arrowroot powder
- Optional: ¼ cup chocolate chips for drizzle
- Measure rice crisps into a bowl and set aside.
- Grease an 8×8 baking dish with olive oil spray or coconut oil.
- In a large pot, combine honey, peanut butter, sea salt, and arrowroot powder. Heat over medium-low, stirring until the consistency thins and becomes slightly runny.
- Pour in rice cereal and stir vigorously to coat the cereal.
- Dump the mixture into the baking dish and use the spatula to press it down and smooth it out. Allow to rest for 20 minutes, preferably in the refrigerator.
- Serve individually from the pan or cut into squares and serve in tupperware to enjoy as desired.
- Optional: melt ¼ cup chocolate chips and use a spatula to drizzle over the squares.