This one pot pasta recipe is perfect for weeknights. It’s loaded with tomatoes, artichokes, herbs, and topped with mozzarella cheese.
This right here is a blog first. Cheese. I repeat, cheese. In its dairy-laden form, cheese. I guess this is the part where I find out how many of you are vegans?
For the past several years, I have steered clear of cheese because of the effects that it had on me – tummy problems, congestion, sluggishness, etc. But after reintroducing it, in small amounts, I’m happily finding that I don’t experience the same problems anymore. This pasta is my exuberant, arms-wide-open embrace of cheese.
My favorite thing about this pasta – aside from the tantalizing cheese and spicy tomato sauce – is that it only dirties ONE dish. Just one beloved, cast iron skillet, AKA my favorite kitchen tool. If a skillet is considered a tool, that is. Little did I know, when I added a cast iron skillet to our wedding registry over 3 years ago, it would be so useful and versatile. If you don’t have one, you need one.
From apple crisps to orzo to ratatouille, I’ve used it for almost every dish imaginable. Most importantly, this pasta. It’s so good that I found myself eating it cold out of the fridge later – don’t judge me. Just make it and you will understand.
One Pot Cheesy Baked Pasta Bake
Smothered in a slightly spiced tomato sauce and melty mozzarella cheese, this easy pasta dish comes together in one pan.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main
- 3 cups penne pasta, preferably gluten free
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, canned
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast (what’s nutritional yeast? i’ll explain! click here.)
- 1/2 Tablespoon red chili flakes (if you don’t like spice, omit the chili flakes)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- In a large iron skillet (12 inches) heat oil to medium-high. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes, water, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add pasta and stir. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- When the pasta is tender, stir in nutritional yeast, mozzarella, basil, artichoke hearts, and coconut milk. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Top with more mozzarella and place in oven to bake for 8-10 more minutes until the cheese is melted. Add fresh basil before serving.
- Calories: 333
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 616 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 45 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 11 g